Thursday, December 6, 2007

a shepherd's prayer


I've had a hard time "getting in the Christmas spirit" this year. Being in another country where things are celebrated in different ways is a big part of that. For some reason holidays seem to be really dependent on nostalgia. At least for me.

But I was thinking about this song from my childhood. A rather cheesy 80s Christmas song called "A Shepherd's Prayer." It's the story of a shepherd from some one's nativity set crying out because he has been placed too far away from Jesus.

"Move me closer. Move me closer. Move me closer to the child. Let me see him. Let me hold his hand. Move me closer to the child."

I was just thinking, isn't this what Christmas is about? Remembering that Jesus came close to us? Remembering that we need to come close to him? Remembering that we need to bring him close to those around us?

And so I'll echo the prayer: "Move me closer..."

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

I've never heard that one before, but it sounds like a pretty good song. Definitely a good heart's cry.

Anonymous said...

You can find that song (Shepherd's Prayer) on the Christmas CD by singer Mark Statler and available on his website: www.MarkStatler.com