Friday, May 16, 2008

old hymns

One of my favorite hymns (possibly my very favorite, definitely the one I sing the most) is "My Jesus, I Love Thee." In March I rewrote it (well, the two verses I know without prompting) during a slot in the prayer room:

My Jesus, I love you. I'm so thankful you are mine. I'll give up everything for you (if you'll help me, cause it's hard sometimes). You are my gracious, grace filled Redeemer, my Savior. I love you now, today, more than I ever have before.

I will love you all my life, right up through the end. I will spend my whole life serving you, with all the strength you give me. And when I come to the end of my life, on my very death bed, I want my final words to be, "I love you now, today, more than I ever have before."

If you're allowed to pick songs for your funeral when you're a healthy 25 then I pick this one. This is what I want my life to be all about.

Another one I've always loved is "Softly and Tenderly Jesus is Calling." It's so beautiful it makes me cry. There's this funny old movie called "A Trip to Bountiful" and the main character is this little old lady who always sings that hymn, I like the movie just for that.

And the last one I feel like mentioning is "It is Well with My Soul." If you don't know the story behind that hymn, you should find it out; it's both hard hitting and soul-affirming.

I guess that's all, good-night!

No comments: