Thursday, June 5, 2008

this is my Jesus

As we're coming to the end of Transit we are also coming to the end of God's Story. I've always had a special love for the Bible. I remember wishing and waiting until I could read well enough to read it for myself. I used to "read" stories from Sunday School to my little sisters from the pictures in my Bible when I was like 4. I've done this year's reading in the Message which has unveiled a lot of truth that hides so easily behind the religious language of other translations.

All of that was to say that I love this description of Jesus from Revelation 19:

Then I saw Heaven open wide - and oh! a white horse and its Rider. The Rider, named Faithful and True, judges and makes war in pure righteousness. His eyes are a blaze of fire, on his head many crowns. He has a Name inscribed that's known only to himself. He is dressed in a robe soaked with blood, and he is addressed as "Word of God." The armies of Heaven, mounted on white horses and dressed in dazzling white linen, follow him. A sharp sword comes out of his mouth so he can subdue the nations, then rule them with a rod of iron. He treads the winepress of the raging wrath of God, the Sovereign-Strong. On his robe and thigh is written, KING OF KINGS, LORD OF LORDS.

This is the Hero of every story. This is the true Knight on a white charger. This is the One who will fight for me, the One I can trust to hold me close and keep me safe. This is the Lover of my Soul; the one true Love of my life. This is my Jesus.

No comments: