Thursday, June 12, 2008

it is the American way

Last weekend I went home for my "little" brother's graduation. It was a bit of a grueling trip, I left just two days after returning from the Czech Republic and was only there from Friday until Monday evening. But it was well worth the effort. Seeing my family, friends, the girls I used to nanny, and my beloved Charlotte was SO great! My dad's dad joined us from Iowa, I got to talk to my grandma on his cell phone too! My mom's dad was in the hospital after emergency surgery earlier in the week, but was with us in spirit. He also sent Daniel and I hand-crafted throwing knives, the first he's ever made. (The explanation behind this is worth a post all it's own, remind me if I forget!Me and my Grandpa Andy! Don't mess with me.
Don't be fooled by the look of boredom... he's vicious! Graduation!
Just a little target practise.

We kicked off the graduation party on Sunday evening with an (illegal) backyard fireworks show.


On Monday I had breakfast with my friend, Beth. We went to my favorite little place, Le Peep (they have magical maple syrup), where I had the Lumber Jack breakfast and managed to eat the entire thing. It was beautiful!
Then I spent the afternoon playing with the little girls I used to nanny, Shelby and Sydney. Their mom didn't tell them I was coming, first because she didn't want them to be disappointed in case it didn't work out, and then because she wanted to surprise them. I didn't even ring the doorbell. They saw me through the window and came running out. The youngest, Sydney, threw herself into my arms and didn't even look up for a good two minutes saying things like, "I missed you SO much." "I thought I was never going to see you again." (She just turned five years old) It was wonderful and horrible all at the same time. We had a wonderful afternoon playing together, it felt as if I'd never been gone.


Then, the end came. I had some Chick-fil-a with my family and left on a jet plane. It's so strange, not feeling like only one place is home. I'm struggling to view that as a blessing. It's really a challenge for a girl who grew up only wanting to have a home and a family in a small town in Midwestern America. My life already looks so different from that dream, and that's something I'm actually really thankful for. But at the same time there's a bit of grieving that goes along with each new revelation of what the new dream really means.

3 comments:

Lauren Newman said...

Wow, sounds like you had an amazingly challenging yet blessed time!
I know what you mean by the grieving thing. My friend was healed of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome last year went through a "grieving process" for her illness, just because it was such a big part of her life for so long. Sounds kind of weird, but it does bring closure!!!
You look great with those knives too :)
Lauren xx

rosie said...

Illegal fireworks displays and knife-throwing???!!

That's shocking!

Jonathan said...

Glad you were able to come back to the States for a visit. Very perceptive thought about the new dream.