Monday, August 25, 2008

goodyear, where did they get that name?

This is not my car, but it is what my car looks like. (I decided the other picture wasn't very helpful.)
This is the dashboard of my car. (And yes, I did take this while I was driving, at night. And I was on empty. I have nothing to say in my defense.) Pretty cool, huh?

Anyway, today I took my car to get washed. (Why does it always rain right after you wash your car?) Then I went to Goodyear to have my oil changed, tires rotated, and state inspection done. (Like an MOT for you Brits.) Why do you always come away from these things having spent more money than you expected and having found out that there are more things wrong with your car than you knew? Ugh! I'm hoping my dad can replace a serpentine belt (whatever that is) along with the tail light that's broken (thank you Lacy) and the air filter which is too full of gunk to filter out anymore. And that he can do it in the next 30 days before I get in trouble with the state. I'm also hoping he can replace the dome light that has burnt out. Once we get that taken care of I just need to get the recall on the "front door glass shatter - replace bolts" that I received a postcard from Pontiac GMC dealer. And at some point in the not too distant future get all new tires. I tell you what, car maintenance is fun stuff!

3 comments:

rosie said...

It is my belief that when you become a mechanic, you are let into a little secret that all mechanics world-wide are keeping from us. I believe this secret is "Nothing is REALLY wrong with anyone's car until the mechanic looks at it." At this point the mechanic breaks something or makes something up, and then steals our money.

Okay, so this is a joke, but sometimes it feels true...

Rebekah said...

I agree! I found all the parts I need to get things back in working order online for way cheaper than they quoted me. And my dad can fix them all so instead of paying $200 I'm paying like $30!!! Praise God, and thank you Dad!

Anonymous said...

Hi it's Rob, blogtrawler and answer of questions that you haven't really asked...

Goodyear was the name of the man who first discovered the properties of rubber when heated - the pioneer of vulcanised rubber if you will. I think his first name was Charles but I can't remember.

Goodyear tyres is actually not affiliated with the man at all, they named their company after the man, although he never saw a cent for his work and apparently died poor and unappreciated.

So that's where the name comes from. I'm sure you'll be fascinated to know that my source for this information comes from none other than Mr Stephen Fry and QI.

Love and hugs, very jealous that you're going to be back in Guildford ridiculously soon...