Thursday, May 28, 2009

rambling

First of all something I've been meaning to say for a while now:
Has anyone ever noticed how spring seems to have a theme every year? Like there seems to be more of one kind of plant or animal than any other? The first year I noticed this it was daisies. They were absolutely everywhere. Every road side was lined with them. They were springing up in yards and ditches and medians. Absolutely everywhere. Then it was butterflies. Big, small, plain, fancy. Butterflies flitting about everywhere, in neighborhoods, on the highway, at the park. Butterflies galore! This year, birds. Birds singing, birds courting, birds building nests. Robins, finches, wrens, woodpeckers, cardinals, blue jays, sparrows, bluebirds, geese, birds I've never seen before. The birds are absolutely everywhere! Am I the only one who has noticed this?

Second, something I've thought of:
Oftentimes my response to someone ribbing me (taking the mick out of me or teasing me or having a laugh at my expense) is an explanation of the way I see things. I do this because I'm not always a very witty person and I'm usually not quick on the draw for smart comebacks. But what I've realized is that when I do this British people think they have "wound me up." So, what's a girl to do?

Third, I've been listening to Radio Theatre's Little Women. I'm a third of the way through my second listen and I continually find myself crying while I listen. And I don't know why. It's a puzzle. But I do love it. (Little Women that is, not the crying.)

Fourth, yesterday I spent six hours at the pottery studio. I was glazing the entire time. We'll see what comes out of the kiln... could be scary!

I guess that's all.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I suggest next time someone winds you up you deliberately burst into theatrical tears, because if you do that well enough the person winding you up will go from feeling smug to feeling guilty. Either that, or fall back on the ever helpful riposte 'so's your face'.

Rebekah said...

the problem is that I'm looking for a response that does not indicate that I'm upset, because usually I'm not. I can laugh at myself and (usually) endure teasing pretty well. But I feel like my responses do not indicate that. Hmmmmm....

Otherwise, that's very good advice!